Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
Consultation on the Draft Woking Town Centre Masterplan (now closed)
The Council consulted on a Draft Woking Town Centre Masterplan, for a period of 12 weeks from 25 July 2022 to 17 October 2022. To view the Draft Masterplan and its accompanying documents, please click here.
Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) provide greater detail on the implementation of higher level policies such as national planning policy, and those in the Core Strategy and the emerging Development Management Policies and Site Allocations DPDs.
The following SPDs have been adopted:
Other guidance documents which help make sure development proposals meet the requirements of the Development Plan include:
- Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Guidance Note on the implementation of policy DM12 of the Development Management Policies DPD (2018)
- Guidance note on the implementation of policies CS13 and CS22 following the introduction of new technical standards for housing (2016)
- Advice note on sustainable drainage systems (2015)
- Thames Basin Heaths SPA Avoidance Strategy (2022)
- Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule (2014)
- Travel Plan Guidance (2017)
- Biodiversity Net Gain (2022)
Supplementary Planning Guidance
The Council also produced a number of Supplementary Planning Guidance documents (SPGs) to amplify the policies of the Local Plan 1999. Although the Core Strategy and Development Management Policies DPD policies have now superceded the policies of the Local Plan 1999, some of the SPGs remain relevant and retain a degree of weight in decision-making. The Council is currently reviewing its SPDs and SPGs upon adoption of the Development Management Policies DPD to ensure they refer to the up-to-date policies in the Development Plan for the area.
The SPGs are as follows:
- Housing Density (2000)
- Plot subdivision: Infilling and backland development (2000)
- Urban Areas of Special Residential Character (2000)
- Residential Boundary Treatment (2000)
- House Extensions (2001)
- High Density Housing Development (2003)
- Light Pollution (draft)
- Heritage of Woking (2000)
- Mount Hermon Conservation Area
- Old Woking Conservation Area
- Ashwood Road Conservation Area
- Horsell Conservation Area
- Byfleet Corner, Rosemount Parade and Station Approach Conservation Area
- Pond Road Conservation Area
- St Johns Conservation Area
- Wheatsheaf Conservation Area
The Design SPD provides a summary of each of these documents, and also contains a section on House Extensions which supercedes the information given in the House Extensions SPG above.
SPDs and Sustainability Appraisal
Regulations 2(5) and (6) of the Town and Country Planning (Local Development) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2009 removes the requirement for a Sustainability Appraisal (SA) report to be prepared for all SPDs. Local Planning Authorities still need to screen their SPDs to ensure that legal requirements for SA are met where there are impacts that have not been covered in the appraisal of the parent DPD. Set out on under each SPD webpage are their individual Screening Statements. These all represent the Councils determination under Regulation 9 (1) of The Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programmes Regulations 2004 on whether or not a Strategic Environmental Assessment is required.