Site Allocations DPD
The Council adopted the Site Allocations Development Plan Document (DPD) on 14 October 2021. The DPD now forms part of the development plan for the borough, and will be used to assess any planning applications that are submitted to us. The Site Allocations DPD supports the delivery of the Core Strategy, and allocates land for housing, employment and infrastructure uses as illustrated on the Proposals Map. The Site Allocations DPD also safeguards land to meet future development needs beyond the present Core Strategy period (to 2027).
- Site Allocations DPD (October 2021)
- Proposals Map and Insets Map adopted alongside the DPD (October 2021)
The adopted DPD is accompanied by the following documentation:
- Site Allocations DPD Adoption Statement
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Site Allocations DPD, with Appendix 11 and Appendix 12, and Sustainability Appraisal Addendum Report
- SA/SEA Adoption Statement
- The Inspector's Report with Appendix 1 (Schedule of Main Modifications)
Examination in Public
The Examination into the Site Allocations DPD was formally closed on receipt of the Inspector's Final Report on 6 August 2021. The Inspector's binding report, recommended modifications, and further details about the Examination, including the evidence base underpinning the preparation of the DPD, can be viewed on the Site Allocations DPD Examination page.
Previous key stages in the preparation of the Site Allocations DPD
Details of previous consultations on the Site Allocations DPD, and the results, are available below.
Main Modifications Consulation
The Council previously consulted on the Proposed Main Modifications of the Site Allocations DPD. These modifications were considered necessary in order to make the DPD legally compliant and/or sound. For information purposes only, the Council also published a Schedule of Additional Modifications that would be incorporated into the DPD to enhance its quality. All details can be found on the Main Modifications Consultation page. Representations received, and the Council's response, can be found on the 'Comment on it' page.
At its meeting on 25 July 2019, the Council resolved to approve the draft Site Allocations DPD and its supporting documents for submission to the Secretary of State. On 31 July 2019, the documents were submitted to the Planning Inspectorate. See the Site Allocations DPD Submission webpage for more details.
Regulation 19 Consultation
The Council published the Site Allocations DPD and its accompanying Sustainability Appraisal Report, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Proposals Map for Regulation 19 consultation, also known as the pre-submission or publication consultation, from 5 November to 17 December 2018. This offered a final opportunity to submit representations before the Publication version of the DPD and supporting documents were submitted to the Secretary of State.
For reference purposes, the following documents were subject to consultation:
- Site Allocations DPD - this allocates specific deliverable sites to enable the delivery of the development proposals of the Core Strategy.
- Sustainability Appraisal Report - this assesses the social, economic and environmental implications of the Site Allocations DPD. An Executive Summary of the SA Report has also been produced. Appendix 11 and Appendix 12 are separate documents.
- Habitats Regulations Assessment - this assesses the implications of the Site Allocations DPD on the European designated sites and species in the Borough.
- Proposals Map and Insets Map - the adopted Core Strategy Proposals Map (also known as a Policies Map) has been modified to illustrate the proposals in the Site Allocations DPD.
The original, redacted representations can be viewed online here. A list of organisations and their representatives has been prepared to aid viewers.
The Council has considered the representations received and has prepared several documents:
- Regulation 19 Consultation Issues and Matters Topic paper - summary of key issues submitted with Officers' response (Section 1); and summary of individual representations received with Officers' response and recommendations (Section 2).
- Schedule of Proposed Modifications in response to the Regulation 19 Consultation.
These documents, and a series of other documents, are undergoing examination by an independent Inspector. All documents are available to view on the Site Allocations DPD Examination webpage.
Land to the East of Martyrs Lane Consultation and Regulation 18 Consultation
The Council sought views on the draft Site Allocations DPD during two previous phases of public consultation - the 'Regulation 18' consultation, and consultation on Land to the east of Martyrs Lane. The comments received and the issues raised were summarised, and modifications made to the proposed publication version of the DPD, which is now subject to Regulation 19 consultation.
The consultation documents, including responses to all representations and earlier iterations of the draft Site Allocations DPD, Sustainability Appraisal Report and Habitat Regulations Assessment, can be found by clicking on the relevant link below:
- Consultation on land to the east of Martyrs Lane (January - February 2017)
- Regulation 18 consultation documents (June - July 2015)
The identification of sites for future development for the purposes of drafting the Site Allocations DPD is based on clear, up to date evidence about potential development land in the Borough. Examples include the Green Belt boundary review, Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) and the Employment Land Review. All of the evidence base can be found here.