Draft Site Allocations DPD
Woking Borough Council has prepared its final draft of the Site Allocations Development Plan Document (DPD), which identifies land and allocates specific sites to enable the delivery of Woking Core Strategy (2012). The Site Allocations DPD also takes a long term strategic view of the future and safeguards land to meet future development needs beyond the present Core Strategy period (between 2027 and 2040).
Examination of Site Allocations DPD
The draft Site Allocations DPD, Proposals and Insets Maps, and a series of supporting documents were submitted to the Planning Inspectorate on 31 July 2019. They are now undergoing examination to determine the soundness of the documents.
The Proposed Main Modifications to the Site Allocations DPD, alongside a number of supporting documents, were consulted on from 18 September to 14 December 2020. The consultation period has ended, and the representations that were received have been submitted to the Inspector, who will take them into account before submitting his Final Report to the Council.
Full details, including links to the main modifications consultation website, can be found on the Site Allocations DPD Examination webpage.
Previous Stages of Preparation - Submission Stage
At its meeting on 25 July 2019, the Council resolved to approve the draft Site Allocations DPD and its supporting documents for submission to the Secretary of State. On 31 July 2019, the documents were submitted to the Planning Inspectorate. See the Site Allocations DPD Submission webpage for more details.
Previous Stages of Preparation - Regulation 19 Consultation
The Council published the Site Allocations DPD and its accompanying Sustainability Appraisal Report, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Proposals Map for Regulation 19 consultation, also known as the pre-submission or publication consultation, from 5 November to 17 December 2018. This offered a final opportunity to submit representations before the Publication version of the DPD and supporting documents were submitted to the Secretary of State.
For reference purposes, the following documents were subject to consultation:
- Site Allocations DPD - this allocates specific deliverable sites to enable the delivery of the development proposals of the Core Strategy.
- Sustainability Appraisal Report - this assesses the social, economic and environmental implications of the Site Allocations DPD. An Executive Summary of the SA Report has also been produced. Appendix 11 and Appendix 12 are separate documents.
- Habitats Regulations Assessment - this assesses the implications of the Site Allocations DPD on the European designated sites and species in the Borough.
- Proposals Map and Insets Map - the adopted Core Strategy Proposals Map (also known as a Policies Map) has been modified to illustrate the proposals in the Site Allocations DPD.
The Council has considered the representations received and has prepared several documents:
- Regulation 19 Consultation Issues and Matters Topic paper - summary of key issues submitted with Officers' response (Section 1); and summary of individual representations received with Officers' response and recommendations (Section 2).
- Schedule of Proposed Modifications in response to the Regulation 19 Consultation.
These documents, and a series of other documents, are undergoing examination by an independent Inspector. All documents are available to view on the Site Allocations DPD Examination webpage.
Previous Stages of Preparation - Land to the East of Martyrs Lane Consultation and Regulation 18 Consultation
The Council sought views on the draft Site Allocations DPD during two previous phases of public consultation - the 'Regulation 18' consultation, and consultation on Land to the east of Martyrs Lane. The comments received and the issues raised were summarised, and modifications made to the proposed publication version of the DPD, which is now subject to Regulation 19 consultation.
The consultation documents, including responses to all representations and earlier iterations of the draft Site Allocations DPD, Sustainability Appraisal Report and Habitat Regulations Assessment, can be found by clicking on the relevant link below:
- Consultation on land to the east of Martyrs Lane (January - February 2017)
- Regulation 18 consultation documents (June - July 2015)
The identification of sites for future development for the purposes of drafting the Site Allocations DPD is based on clear, up to date evidence about potential development land in the Borough. Examples include the Green Belt boundary review, Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) and the Employment Land Review. All of the evidence base can be found here.