Affordable Housing Delivery Supplementary Planning Document
The Affordable Housing Delivery Supplementary Planning Document will provide detailed information regarding the implementation and delivery of Policy CS12 Affordable housing of the Core Strategy.
Public consultation on the draft Affordable Housing Delivery SPD
A period of public consultation was held on the draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) between Thursday 27 March and Thursday 8 May 2014. The comments received will be taken into account before the document is finalised and adopted by the Council.
Once finalised and adopted, the Affordable Housing Delivery SPD will replace the adopted informal guidance for the calculation of off-site affordable housing financial contributions (December 2013).
If you have any questions on the draft Affordable Housing Delivery SPD please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Planning Policy Team on 01483 743871. You may also direct enquiries regarding the draft Affordable Housing Delivery SPD to Colin Hall, Housing Strategy and Enabling Officer, on 01483 743656 or email email@example.com.
The Council has adopted informal guidance for the calculation of off-site affordable housing financial contributions, to assist developers in the interim period until the Affordable Housing Delivery SPD is adopted in 2014. Please see below for more information.
What does the SPD cover?
The draft SPD expands on matters related to planning and affordable housing delivery, including:
- the approach to calculating financial contributions in lieu of on site affordable housing provision
- details of the size and type of affordable homes that the Council will expect to be delivered on site
- details of the distribution of affordable housing across developments (for example, the approach to `pepper potting' and `clustering')
- the Council's approach to rounding
- details of any exceptional circumstances
- the requirements for viability appraisals
- details on the requirement for affordable units to be secured in affordable tenure in perpetuity through the use of section 106 agreements
- details of the Council's preferred registered providers
- standards for new affordable homes.
Interim guidance for calculating affordable housing contributions
The Council has prepared interim guidance to explain how it calculates affordable housing developer financial contributions, in line with Core Strategy Policy CS12 Affordable Housing. The guidance also explains more about:
- the affordable housing planning policy and when this applies
- the types of development that attract a requirement for affordable housing provision
- when affordable housing provision should be made on-site and off-site
- how the Council considers viability issues
- provides guidance on the definitions of previously developed land and greenfield land in relation to development within gardens
- the process for submitting a planning application involving affordable housing provision, and
- details of affordable housing Registered Providers and other useful contacts and information sources.
The interim guidance was approved by Council on 5 December 2013. You can read the guidance on this page.