Development Plan for Woking
The Development Plan for the area is a set of adopted documents that set out the Council's planning policies and proposals for the development and use of land in the Borough and for the purpose of all other planning decisions.
The plan is made up of several documents, which currently include:
- Woking Core Strategy (2012): provides the strategic policy framework for planning in Woking
- Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (DPD) (2016): provides detailed policies to help determine day to day planning applications
- Proposals Map (2016), including Insets Map
- Hook Heath Neighbourhood Plan (2015)
- Pyrford Neighbourhood Plan (2017)
- The Surrey Minerals Plan Core Strategy and Primary Aggregates DPDs (2011)
- The Surrey Waste Plan (2008)
- The saved policy of the South East Plan: Policy NRM6 Thames Basin Heath SPA
The Council is also preparing the Site Allocations SPD - when adopted this will also form part of the Development Plan for the area.
The Local Development Scheme explains which policy documents are part of the Development Plan and when others will be written. The Statement of Community Involvement sets out when and how people can get involved in the plan-making process and in the consideration of planning applications.
A number of research projects have been undertaken by the Council to inform the preparation of Development Plan Documents for the area. The research and evidence base is available here.
Supplementary Planning Documents
Supplementary Planning Documents have also been adopted which provide greater detail on policies in the Development Plan and help applicants make applications that are likely to be in accordance with the Development Plan. These include:
- Parking Standards (2006)
- Outlook, Amenity, Privacy and Daylight (2008)
- Climate Change (2013)
- Affordable Housing Delivery (2014)
- Hot Food Takeaway (2014)
- Design SPD (2015)
The Council has also produced a number of Supplementary Planning Guidance documents (SPGs) to amplify the policies of the Local Plan 1999. The policies of the Core Strategy and Development Management Policies DPD have now superseded the saved policies of the Local Plan 1999, but a number of SPGs remain relevant (viewed here). The Council is reviewing its SPDs and SPGs to ensure they refer to up-to-date policies in the Development Plan.
Other guidance documents which help make sure development proposals meet the requirements of the Development Plan include:
- Affordable Housing Provision: implementation of policy CS12 following the introduction of new national affordable housing thresholds and vacant building credit (2016)
- Guidance note on the implementation of policies CS13 and CS22 following the introduction of new technical standards for housing (2016)
- Advice note on sustainable drainage systems (2015)
- Thames Basin Heaths SPA Avoidance Strategy 2010-2015
- Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule (2014)
- Travel Plan Guidance (2017)
Further details on all of these documents can be found in the corresponding pages of this website.